Insinkerator 46 FAQ
When it comes to waste disposal, the Insinkerator Model 46 is an essential household appliance, providing efficient and reliable performance. However, like any other machine, it may occasionally experience issues. In this troubleshooting guide, we will walk you through some common problems and solutions for the Insinkerator Model 46, ensuring you can get back to hassle-free waste disposal in no time.
Common Issues and Solutions
1. Insinkerator not turning on
If your Insinkerator Model 46 doesn’t turn on, follow these steps:
- Check if the power cord is properly connected to the outlet.
- Verify that the circuit breaker or fuse hasn’t tripped or blown.
- Press the reset button, typically located on the bottom of the unit.
2. Humming noise but no grinding
If your Insinkerator makes a humming noise but doesn’t grind, it might be jammed. Proceed as follows:
- Turn off the appliance and unplug it from the power source.
- Insert an Allen wrench into the centre hole at the bottom of the unit and rotate it back and forth to loosen any debris.
- Use a torch to inspect the grinding chamber, and remove any visible obstructions with a pair of pliers.
- Plug the unit back in, turn it on, and test its performance.
3. Leaking Insinkerator
Leaks in your Insinkerator Model 46 may occur at various points. To identify and fix them:
- Examine the sink flange, gasket, and mounting assembly for proper installation and tightness.
- Check the dishwasher inlet and hose clamp for secure connections.
- Inspect the drainpipe and its gasket for signs of damage or misalignment.
4. Unpleasant odours
To eliminate unpleasant smells from your Insinkerator Model 46, try the following steps:
- Run cold water and the disposal unit for 30 seconds to flush any residual food waste.
- Grind small pieces of lemon or orange peel to freshen the grinding chamber.
- Use a mild detergent and a soft brush to clean the sink baffle and grinding chamber.
Maintaining Your Insinkerator Model 46
Regular maintenance can prevent most issues with your Insinkerator. Follow these tips to keep your waste disposal unit in top condition:
- Always run cold water when operating the appliance.
- Grind small amounts of food waste at a time.
- Avoid fibrous or starchy foods, which can cause jams and blockages.
- Clean your Insinkerator Model 46 at least once a month.
If you’ve tried the troubleshooting tips above and your Insinkerator Model 46 still isn’t working properly, it may be time to consult an expert.